Back Care Awareness Week 2-8 October
The first week of October is Back Care Awareness week. This week seems to go under the radar even though back pain is the number one cause for disability worldwide.
- An estimated 10 million working days are lost per annum due to musculoskeletal disorders
- Musculoskeletal complaints contribute to 41% of all work related illnesses
- Lower back pain is the largest single cause of disability in the UK
- Back pain affects all age groups but is particularly prevalent in the over 50s
- Back pain increases in likelihood when spending 4 or more hours sat down at a desk
Back pain can be excruciating and debilitating, hindering everything that we do. You might not know that foods high in sugar and saturated fat can encourage inflammation – negating the inevitable painkillers you may be reaching for.
Large amounts of sugar and saturated fat cause over activity in the immune system, which can lead to joint pain: Eating a healthy diet and partaking in exercise can help to alleviate some symptoms and improve your quality of life.
So what should you eat to look after your back?
- Oily fish
- Brown rice
- Beans (kidney beans, pinto beans, red beans)
- White meat
Fruit and vegetables (aim for 5 different colours a day):
To discuss our Employee Nutrition Services, call 07778 218009 or email Anna.