Movember, Men’s Health Awareness Month
Movember is a global charity, but what do they stand for?
- Prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Mental health
- Suicide prevention
How can you get involved in Movember? Movember in the workplace.
On average, men die 6 years earlier than women, largely through preventable causes. Movember is a global charity is committed to increasing awareness, support, funding and education around men’s health. Ultimately enabling men to live happier, healthier and longer lives.
Globally, every minute, a man dies by suicide. In the UK, 75% of suicides are men.
What can we do?
- Encourage action
- Check in
‘70% of men say their friends can rely on them for support, but only 48% say that they rely on their friends. In other words: we’re here for our mates, but worried about asking for help ourselves. Reaching out is crucial.’
Papyrus – Aims to reduce stigma associated with suicide and increase awareness of young suicide through phone, SMS, and email.
Calm – Seeks to prevent male suicide offering support to men in the UK, of any age, who are down or in crisis via their helpline and website.
Mind – Information and support to make sure no-one has to face a mental health problem alone.
- Prostate cancer, know the facts.
Prostate cancer rates will double over the next 15 years. Currently 1 in 8 men will be diagnosed in their lifetime.
- Testicular cancer, know the facts.
Testicular cancer has doubled in the last 50 years. Those most at risk are aged 25-49.
5 things men need to know to improve their health
- Spend time with people who make you feel good
- Talk, more
- Know the numbers – Age 50, talk to your doctor about prostate cancer. If you’re black, or have a father or brother with prostate cancer, talk to your doctor when you’re 45. Know your numbers, know your risk.
- Check yourself – Get to know what’s normal for your testicles. Check regularly and speak to your GP if you notice a change.
- Move, more
We offer a corporate nutrition workshop that specialises in men’s health – Mens health workshop for more information.
Get in touch to discover how we can assist your organisation and improve workplace health.