National Know Your Numbers Week 10-16 September
Your numbers say a lot about your health. Many of us don’t know our numbers, what the healthy range of numbers are and the impact of falling below or above these ranges.
Numbers To Be Aware Of
- Body weight
- Body mass index
- Resting heart rate
- Hip to waist ratio
- Total body fat %
- Muscle mass %
- Visceral fat rating
- Blood sugar level
- Cholesterol level
- Blood pressure
- Lung function
Are you included in or are you at risk of falling into these statistics?
- 66% of adults in England are overweight or obese
- Approximately 1 in 11 deaths in the UK is linked to carrying excess fat
- In the UK one person dies every 3 minutes from cardiovascular disease
- 40,000 deaths in the UK each year are caused by stroke
- 3.5 million UK adults have been diagnosed with diabetes – a further 500,000 have undiagnosed diabetes
- 30% of UK adults have high blood pressure – 50% are receiving no treatment
Monitoring your health statistics will put you in control, enabling you to improve any ailing health issues and reduce your chances of serious diseases or conditions in the future.
So how can you best ensure that your statistics remain healthy?
- Eat whole food
- Cut down on sugar, salt and saturated fat
- Avoid processed food
- Drink no more than 4 cups of tea/coffee each day
- Eat regularly, leaving no more than 5 hours between meals or snacks
- Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each day
- Drink 2 litres of water each day
- Drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week, spread over at least 3 days with 2 consecutive alcohol free days
- Quit smoking
- Do 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise, such as running or tennis every week, along with strength exercises on two or more days per week that work major muscles (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms) (75 minutes or vigorous exercise can be replaced with 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week, such as brisk walking)
- Aim for 7-10 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night
For more about healthy eating please click onto one of the boxes below.
We have a vast range of Workplace Nutrition Services – click here to find out more, or give us a call on 07778218009 for an informal chat.