National Picnic Week 16-25 June
National Picnic Week runs from 16-25 June this year, which is the perfect opportunity rustle up some delicious fresh food for the whole family and get out into the fresh air together.
Each of the recipes below will feed two people so simply alter the ingredient amounts if you are catering for more! But you needn’t stick to the choices below if they aren’t to your taste – this is just a starting point! Check out our many other choices of salads, pittas, wraps, homemade dips and snacks by clicking here!
Tomato and Butter Bean Pesto with Courgetti
A healthy alternative to traditional spaghetti pesto – extra quick and extra tasty.
Ideally you will need a julienne peeler for the courgette but if this isn’t something you have available then simply use an ordinary vegetable peeler and use it to peel the courgette lengthways into long, wide ribbons. Once complete, julienne with a sharp knife. Any leftover pesto will keep for a week in the fridge.
- 200g tin butter beans, drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 10g sun-dried tomatoes
- 35g fresh basil, plus a few leaves to garnish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch chilli flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 courgettes, trimmed
- ½ red chilli, chopped, for garnish
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- To create the pesto start by blending all of the pesto ingredients, plus 9 tablespoons of water to a rough paste in a food processor. Add extra water to loosen if necessary. Season with freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- For the courgetti, peel spaghetti-like strands from the courgettes using a julienne peeler, collecting them in a large mixing bowl. If you do not have a julienne peeler, see alternative method at the beginning of recipe.
- Place the pesto on top of the courgetti and carefully stir in until evenly coated.
- Serve by placing the courgetti onto plates and top with the reserved basil leaves, chopped chilli and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Smoked Salmon Avocado Skins
This is a great recipe for a quick dinner or something easily prepped the day before for lunch in the office – just be sure to put into an airtight container to avoid the avocado turning brown and pop the dressing is a small separate jar and add just before eating.
- 2 avocados, halved with stone removed
- 180g smoked salmon
- juice of ½ lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 120g spinach, washed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 handfuls mixed fresh herbs, leaves picked
- Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado from it’s shell and put into a large bowl
- Add the smoked salmon to the avocado along with half of the lemon juice and a generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper and lightly mash
- Spoon the mixture back into the avocado skins
- For the dressing, combine extra virgin olive oil and remaining lemon juice and stir
- Distribute the spinach between 2 plates, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and drizzle over dressing before adding 2 stuffed avocado halves to each dish. Finally sprinkle over fresh mixed herbs
- Serve immediately and enjoy
Turkey, chicken, salmon, tuna, mackerel, ham or falafel wraps
This recipe takes zero time to prepare, just a little forethought when doing your food shop. Having the ingredients below stored in your fridge and kitchen cupboards will give you great flexibility and choice when it comes to creating your lunch. You can use any protein when recreating this recipe, that’s the beauty of it. Be aware that wraps are a medium choice for weight loss and a good choice for weight maintenance.
- 4 thin gram flour pancakes about 3 inches in diameter
- 4 slices of chicken/turkey/ham
- 2 falafel (wheat free)
- a small tin (or ½ large tin) of salmon
- 2 large romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried or other large leaf lettuce
- 4 thin slices ripe avocado
- cucumber slices
- spring onion chopped
- tomato slices
- mixed sprouts
- 1 dessertspoon mayonnaise
- yogurt or tahini (sesame seed paste) mixed with ½ tsp lemon juice and herbs
- 1 tbsp hummus
- Place gram flour pancakes on a plate, and starting with lettuce – divide filling equally between the 2 pancakes and layer with meat or fish or falafel, avocado, vegetables, dressing and top with sprouts
- When filled, roll pancake to make a wrap
- If you want to have just 1 wrap, halve the ingredients
For more about healthy eating please click on the boxes below.
To discuss our Employee Nutrition Services, call 07778 218009 or email Anna.