Recipe Of The Week – Chicken Pot Roast
Good food doesn’t get much easier or more delicious than this. Simply chuck everything into the pot and let it cook. Everyone will love this truly family friendly dish. It’s ideal for weight loss and weight maintenance too.
- 250g celery
- 5 rashers of bacon
- 250g carrots
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 3 onions
- 1 garlic bulb
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken, 1.5-2kg in weight
- Heat the oven to 190C/mark 5.
- Roughly chop the bacon, peel the carrots and onions but leave the sweet potatoes unpeeled.
- Roughly chop the carrots, sweet potatoes and celery, and cut the onions into quarters and cut the unpeeled garlic bulb in half across the middle.
- Place all these ingredients into a casserole dish with the thyme and seasoning. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and toss thoroughly.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Rub the chicken with the remaining olive oil and season well. Place on top of the vegetables.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour, then remove the lid and cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of the bird, to brown the chicken and ensure it is cooked through.