Recipe Of The Week – Poached Chicken with Mushrooms
This recipe requires minimal effort but has maximum results. With only the preparations to complete, the dinner essentially cooks itself whilst you can sit back and relax.
For parsley mixture:
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp shallot, finely chopped
- Handful of flat-leafed parsley, roughly chopped
For the chicken:
- 2 x 200g chicken breasts, skinned
- 25g butter
- 25g each carrot, celery, leek and green beans, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig tarragon
- 175g mixed mushrooms, such as chestnut, shiitake, oyster and button, roughly chopped
- 1 small tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- Parsley, roughly chopped (to garnish)
- Step 1
Mix together the ingredients for the parsley mixture and set to one side.
- Step 2
Put the chicken into a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and poach for 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- Step 3
Lift the meat out, thickly shred it and set aside.
- Step 4
Strain 125ml of the poaching liquid into a jug and put to one side. Discard the remaining liquid.
- Step 5
Heat a medium frying pan. Add the butter, reserved liquid, carrot, celery, leek, green beans and tarragon. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Step 6
Add the mushrooms and cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 7
Return the chicken to the pan and heat it through.
- Step 8
Stir in the chopped tomato and parsley mixture, then check the seasoning.
- Step 9
Spoon half the vegetable mixture on to each plate.
- Step 10
Top with the chicken and some cooking juices. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.