Recipe Of The Week – Slow Cooker Tomato & Lentil Dahl
This recipe serves 4 as a thick and creamy main meal. Alternatively, it can be a delicious accompany dish to a main meal, meaning this recipe will go even further if intended.
If you don’t own a slow cooker, there are a number of guidelines you can work with to ensure this dish comes out just as well from the oven:
- Use about a third more stock that this recipe states
- Once you have brought your lentils to the boil, leave to simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until they reach the desired consistency
- 3 fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 250g yellow split lentils
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 700ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Keep back one of the tomatoes and the fresh coriander to stir in at the end of cooking. Place all the remaining ingredients in the slow-cooker basin and stir well.
- Place the lid on tightly and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours until the lentils are cooked down to a thick texture.
- At the end of cooking, season to taste with a little salt and garnish with the tomato and coriander.