Recipe Of The Week – Teriyaki Chicken Salad
Mar 26, 2019
If you have any leftovers, add the chicken and salad to pitta pockets for a delicious lunch.
- 125ml mirin
- 125ml soy sauce
- approx 5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 900g boneless chicken thighs (4-8 thighs depending on size)
- 2 red chillies, chopped and deseeded
For the salad:
- 400g mixed salad leaves
- red peppers, thinly sliced
- a few sprigs fresh coriander
- sesame seeds
- Combine the soy sauce, mirin, chopped chillies and ginger in a large bowl. Add the chicken thighs, massaging it to distribute the marinade. If time allows, leave your chicken to marinate in the fridge for 8 – 12 hours, mixing it 2 or 3 times to further distribute the marinade.
- To cook, drain the chicken over a saucepan and set the pan over a medium heat. Reduce the marinade until it comes to the boil, reduce the heat and cook the marinade until it is slightly boiled down.
- Heat a grill pan over a high heat and add the chicken thighs, skin side down. Be sure not to over-fill the pan, do the chicken in batches if necessary.
- Sear the thighs for 2-3 minutes on each side, then cover and cook for approximately 6 minutes.
- Remove the cover, wipe the condensation off the underside of the cover, flip the thighs over, re-cover and cook for a further 6 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken and finish cooking for approximately 3 minutes on each side, brushing and basting the chicken with the reserved marinade as you go.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh coriander and serve with a large green salad.