Recipe Of The Week – The Healthy Full English
A full English breakfast is the stuff dreams are made of. It is something we associate with lazy Sunday mornings and the notion of ignoring the subconscious voice telling you your ‘diet’ will start on Monday. However, it needn’t be something to have occasionally. By making a few little tweaks here and there, you can dish up this full English with all of the enthusiasm you have for the original.
We also recognise that time isn’t always on your side, so perhaps take one or two elements of this meal and pop it into a whole meal pitta bread to create a quick and simple breakfast that will keep you ticking over nicely until lunch.
Tip: This recipe is simple but required a certain amount of juggling with timings. Food should be kept nicely warm if you leave them where they were cooked. Alternatively, a preheated oven at approximately 90C should keep your meal looking and tasting good for a little while.
- Preheat the oven to 190C in preparation for the sausages. Place the sausages on a baking tray and cook for 20-25 minutes, turning over half way through the cooking time. (Individual types of sausages may have slightly different cooking times check the packet for specific instructions.)
- Whilst the sausages are cooking, bring a pan of water to the boil, preheat the grill to high and heat ½ TBS olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Once the grill is fully heated, place the bacon underneath it. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side (or until you reach the desired crispiness).
- When turning the bacon: Add the halved tomatoes to the grill (cut side down), crack the eggs into the pan of simmering water (approx. 2 mins for runny, 4 mins for hard), and throw the mushrooms into the skillet, stirring occasionally until lightly browned (4-5 mins).
- Whilst assembling the food onto the plates, let the spinach wilt in the skillet.
- Serve as it is, enjoy the juices from the tomatoes and mushrooms. Alternatively, add a green or red kick to your morning meal by way of spicy guacamole or tomato salsa.