Recipe Of The Week – Venison With Tangy Red Cabbage Coleslaw
Venison is quite a rich meat so this is perfectly offset by the sweet and tangy red cabbage coleslaw. Enjoy as a special treat at the weekend.
- 150g red cabbage, finely or thickly shredded depending on your preference
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 25g raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 mins
- ½ tsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 x 150g venison loins or steaks
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, apples, onion, raisins and capers.
- Mix together the oil and vinegar in a clean bowl and add to the slaw, reserving a little for serving. Season the slaw with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan. Cook the venison until brown on all sides. Transfer it to the oven for 4 minutes and then leave it to rest.
- To serve, mix the parsley into the slaw. Slice the venison. Spoon the slaw onto two plates and top with slices of venison. Finish by drizzling over the remaining vinaigrette.