Sugar Awareness Week 29 Oct – 4 Nov
The more you look, the more you realise that sugar seems to be in absolutely everything. This modern age addiction has captured the taste buds of the majority of the population.
Eating excessive amounts of sugar can result in tooth decay, type 2 diabetes and obesity. The daily reference intake of total sugars for adults is 90g. Below you will see an average meal deal from ‘Tesco’ and the total sugar content included within it.
TESCO MEAL DEAL SUGAR CONTENT
Daily reference intake for total sugars (90g)
|Hoisin duck wrap|
|Coca cola 375ml|
|Galaxy milk chocolate bar 75g|
If you were to purchase this meal deal every working day, you would be consuming 462g of sugar over the working week, and this is just from 5 of your 21 main meals each week. It also means that you will be exceeding your daily intake of total sugars every working day without even eating anything else.
You may be experiencing sugar addiction if any of the following apply to you:
- You eat refined sugar every day
- You joke about being ‘addicted’ to sugar
- You think about eating sugar for much of the day
- The idea of living without sugar make you uneasy
- You feel sluggish or fatigues after eating sugar
- You go out of your way to obtain a sweet treat
- You tried to decrease your sugar intake
- You feel anxious if you stop eating sugar
- You feel guilty about eating too much sugar
- You eat sugar the same time each day
- You have been unsuccessful at cutting down or not eating sugar
- You feel less motivated after eating sugar
Tips on decreasing your sugar intake:
- Sweeten your breakfast using fresh fruit instead of honey or sugar
- Swap sweetened yoghurt for natural yoghurt, for an extra protein boost opt for Greek yoghurt
- Decrease the amount of sugar you add to tea and coffee. Start by halving your normal amount and reduce further once you feel ready
- Replace sweetness with natural herbs and spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger
- Cut out fizzy drinks
Our full range of employee nutrition services provide an end-to-end campaign aimed at improving the health and wellbeing of your employees, and therefore your business.
Give us a call on 07778 218009, give us a call to find out more.