The Potential Health Costs Of Fad Dieting
There are many fad diets throughout the media, all of which promise to get you beach ready within a matter of weeks. But what damage could they be doing to your health and could they in fact make weight loss more difficult?
- Implementing unhealthy food associations leading to feelings of guilt and failure
- Significant calorie deficit causing fatigue, irritability and brain fog
- Muscle wastage
- Insufficient cell repair
- Vitamin deficiency
- Calcium deficiency, leading to reduced bone density and increased risk of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
- Bad breath
- Poor sleep
- Increased risk of heart disease and some cancers if meat intake is increased and fibre rich foods decreased
- Poor concentration
- Weight gain due to unsustainability
Consistency is key when it comes to maintainable weight loss and weight maintenance. Fad diets are exactly that, you can expect fleeting results whilst experiencing unpleasant both short and long-term side effects.
Restrictive diets are applicable when it comes to medical reasons such as coeliac disease for example, but for the majority of us, practicing moderation throughout all areas of nutrition will enable us to lead healthy and weight sustaining lives without depriving our bodies of vital nutrients.
To discuss our Employee Nutrition Services, call 07778 218009 or email Anna.