World Health Day 2019
Annual World Health Day arrives on the 7thApril, a day brought about under the sponsorship of the World Health Organization (WHO). This is an annual reminder to highlight the importance of health and wellbeing throughout you, your family, friends and workplace.
Maintaining and nurturing your health and wellbeing is vital for feeling your best and performing at your optimum ability. Your daily nutrition and hydration choices will have the biggest influence on your day-to-day health. Making the best choices will give you the strongest platform for feeling and looking your best, as well as protecting you against long-term health conditions.
Daily food and hydration choices boost health & wellbeing:
- Aim for 6-8 glasses of water, more if you are exercising or if the weather is warm
- Make fruit and vegetables the largest aspect of your nutritional intake
- Aim for at least five portions of fruit and veg per day
- Have whole grains with each meal e.g. oats, quinoa, brown rice, rye, spelt
- Choose lean cuts of meat and poultry, limit red meat intake and aim for at least 2 portions of fish per week
- Choose low fat dairy options
- Have fat in small amounts and choose unsaturated forms such as olive oil, avocado or whole nuts
- Avoid foods high in salt, sugar and fat
- Avoid processed foods