Is it time to spring clean your lifestyle?
Your value is largely dictated by your lifestyle. Can you be worth more? Could you lifestyle do with an overhaul?
If you don’t maintain a balanced lifestyle, then your value will decrease in all areas of your life, both professional and personal. Poor lifestyle choices will incur a decrease in energy, productivity, creativity and overall happiness.
Keeping all areas of your life in check can be a difficult balancing act, but doing so will mean that you are functioning at your full potential, enabling a more productive professional life and a more harmonious personal life.
A few simple lifestyle choices can be all that it takes to swing things in your favour when it comes to feeling and functioning at your best:
- Limit your caffeine intake to no more than 4 cups of tea or coffee per day.
- Ensure that you drink at least 8-10 glasses of water per day.
- Limit alcohol to no more than 14 units per week, with at least 2 consecutive alcohol free days.
- If you are trying to lose weight, don’t enter into a drastic calorie deficit or starvation diet that will leave you feeling weak and unable to complete simple daily tasks. A small deficit of 200 calories per day will ensure you approach sustainable weight loss.
- Eliminate processed and inflammatory foods high in sugar, salt and fat.
- Stand up and stretch at regular intervals throughout the day – this is especially important if you are sat behind a desk for hours at a time.
- Make sure you eat plenty of protein from lean sources such as white meat and fish as it helps to stave off hunger, provide essential nutrients and a boost in serotonin – the connectors in the brain that help you to feel good and well balanced.
- Take the stairs where possible.
- Walk and talk throughout meetings if this is an option, a few laps of the office will get the blood pumping and creative juices flowing.
- Aim to prepare your meals for a few days at a time – this will free up precious hours for something more enjoyable such as family time or an exercise class that you never seem to make it to.
- Make the most of the sunshine as it begins to reappear, sitting in it for 10 minutes of day can help to boost your mood no end.