Easter Special – Grilled Lamb with Smashed Buttermilk Sweet Potato Salad
Tip: If time allows, prepare the lamb a day ahead of eating to allow it to marinate in the fridge overnight.
Being able to have a delicious meal to enjoy with friends and family on special occasions is what life is all about. This recipe is a little heavier on the preparation and time than we usually aim for, but we can promise you that it’s worth it!
- Boneless lamb leg, approximately 600g, cut into bitesized chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ lemons
- 1 cloves garlic, finely diced
- Small handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 750g sweet potatoes, cut into 10cm chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 30g buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- ½ tsp honey
- Small handful fresh thyme leaves
- 1 spring onions, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- Large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Large green salad
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb with the oil, coriander, oregano and ¼ tsp of both salt and pepper. Add the zest of 1 lemon along with the garlic and parsley to the lamb and combine before putting in the fridge for a minimum of an hour, but overnight preferably
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold seasoned water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tender before draining
- Place an oven rack on the top rung of your oven and preheat to 230C/210C fan
- Rub 2 tablespoons oil on 2 large baking sheets, dividing evenly
- Divide potatoes between baking sheets. Gently press potatoes, with the bottom of a glass, until crushed but still intact. Brush potatoes with remaining tablespoon of oil, dividing evenly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast, one pan at a time, turning potatoes once, until golden brown and crisp, 22 to 25 minutes.
- Place the sliced red pepper onto one of the baking trays for the remaining 15 minutes of cooking
- Pop a grill pan over a medium-high heat before threading the lamb onto skewers
- Once threaded, grill the kebabs until cooked to desired doneness. Turn them occasionally, this should take 7 minutes for medium-rare.
- Cut the lemon in half before grilling, cut side down, until charred for a couple of minutes before squeezing over the kebabs before serving
- Meanwhile, whisk together buttermilk, yoghurt, honey, and thyme in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add warm potatoes and roasted pepper and toss to coat
- Fold in spring onions and parsley and serve immediately with the lamb skewers and green salad