Facts About World Hypertension Day
World Hypertension Day (17th May) is an annual event designed to promote awareness and decrease the prevalence of preventable hypertension related deaths across the globe.
What is hypertension?
Hypertension is high blood pressure
What causes hypertension?
- Unhealthy diet
- Physical inactivity
- Excess alcohol consumption
How many people have hypertension?
- 22% of people worldwide
- 13 billion people worldwide
- Fewer than 1 in 5 people have it under control
- 1 in 4 men have hypertension and don’t know it
- 1 in 5 women have hypertension and don’t know it
What are the health complications caused by hypertension?
- Heart attack
- Kidney failure
How many deaths does hypertension cause?
- 4 million per year
- 13% of global deaths – making it the leading cause of premature death
What is a high blood pressure result?
If you have a blood pressure reading greater than 140/90, you probably have high blood pressure
How can I reduce my risk of hypertension?
- Increase fruit and vegetable intake
- Quit smoking
- Stay physically active
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Limit alcohol intake
- Reduce salt intake to less than 5g daily
- Avoid saturated fats and trans fats
- Regularly check your blood pressure
- Reduce and manage stress
- Follow any medical advice you have been given by your GP