How To Overcome Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms
It is not known what causes Irritable Bowel syndrome (IBS). However, it is suspected that the gut becomes sensitised over time to certain foods, additives, colourants and e-numbers.
Symptoms can vary among individuals and can come and go depending on the cause. Symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain
- Bouts of diarrhoea
There is no cure for IBS, but symptoms can often be eased with treatment and a healthy, balanced diet. You can read more information on IBS at Patient.co.uk.
People who suffer from IBS are more likely to suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety caused by their condition. Is there merit in what you eat can make you a happier person?
The symptoms of IBS often reduce by eating a healthy diet and ditching junk food. Processed or junk food contains many ingredients which irritate the bowel and digestive system.
Top tips to reduce your IBS symptoms:
- Ditch all junk food
- Eat fruit and vegetables
- Eat plenty of fish, meat and vegetarian protein
- Drink 1.5 – 2 litres of fresh water each day
- Eat three meals plus two healthy snacks (for most people) each day
- Ditch processed drinks such as cordials and drink water or fruit flavoured water – search through our refreshing flavoured waters
- Give up ready meals, jars of sauces and frozen junk food
- Drink no more than 4 cups of caffeinated tea or coffee each day
- Give up sweeteners
You may be interested in knowing the foods that cause bloating and what you can eat instead?