Recipe Of The Week – Fresh Vegetables in Homemade Chicken Broth
This recipe is briliant if you are looking to plan ahead with your meals or feed many mouths in one sitting. Deliciously fresh and tasty, this is a definite winner with everyone. The simplicity of this dish means it can be cooked any time and enjoyed for days on end. Swap the vegetables with the season throughout the year to maintain as much taste as possible.
- Add the chicken, carrots, celery, new potatoes, thyme and garlic to a large saucepan
- Add enough water to cover the chicken and bring to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer for 1.5 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through
- Remove the pot from the heat and transfer chicken to a large bowl. Strain the broth and put the vegetables to one side. Put the broth back over a high heat and reduce for 15 minutes until there is approximately 2/3 of the liquid remaining
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the skin and bones
- Once the liquid has reduced sufficiently, return the vegetables and chicken to the pan, along with the peas. Simmer for a further 5 minutes
- Serve immediately with freshly chopped parsley sprinkled on top