Recipe Of The Week – Slow Cooker Chunky Beef Chilli
Chunky beef and veg with a kick of chilli makes this recipe ideal for the colder months. With it taking 9 hours to cook, simply pop everything into the slow cooker before heading out to work and you’ll return home to a delicious meal, ready for whenever you are!
If you don’t own a slow cooker, there are a number of guidelines you can work with to ensure this dish comes out just as well from the oven:
- Use about a third more stock than this recipe states
- For step 3, preheat the oven to 163 degrees celcius. Cover the food with a lid, put in the oven and leave to cook for 2 hours 15 minutes.
- 250g dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 600ml cold water
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 small green chilli, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 600g chuck steak, diced
- 1 large green pepper, deseeded and sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- natural yoghurt, to serve
- large green salad, to serve
- Drain and rinse the beans, place in a saucepan, add enough water to cover and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes then remove from the heat and drain and rinse again. Place the beans in a slow cooker (or a heavy based pot to go in the oven) and add 600ml cold water
- Mix the garlic, tomato puree, chilli, cumin and coriander together in a large bowl. Add the steak, onion and green pepper and mix to coat evenly.
- Place the meat and vegetables on top of the beans, pop the lid on and cook on LOW for 9 hours, or until the beans and meat are tender.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and transfer to bowls to serve. Top with a dollop of natural yoghurt, a light sprinkling of cheddar cheese and serve with a large green salad.