5 Delicious Recipes for National Cholesterol Month
October in National Cholesterol Month – are you aware of your cholesterol level?
Every 7 minutes, someone in the UK will have a heart attack. Every 12 minutes, someone in the UK will have a stroke. Having high cholesterol significantly increases your risk of succumbing to these diseases.
60% of adults in the UK have raised cholesterol – in order to have yours tested, visit your GP. This is especially important to do if you have raised cholesterol running through your family.
High cholesterol causes:
- Eat high levels of saturated fat
- Being inactive
- Having too much body fat
Cholesterol reducing solutions:
- Become more active
- Quit smoking
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Reduce saturated fat intake. E.g. Butter, lard, biscuits, cakes, cheese, coconut oil, palm oil
- Extra help may be needed to reduce high cholesterol levels, work with your GP to monitor this
- Enjoy cholesterol lowering foods. E.g. Liver, chicken, spinach, avocado, ginger, soy protein, dark chocolate, nuts, linseed, oats, salmon, garlic
5 delicious and cholesterol friendly recipes:
- Chocolate, coconut and nut oats
- Curried spinach and lentil soup
- Tangy chicken lettuce cups
- Rye bread with avocado, soft boiled eggs and pine nuts
- Smoked salmon with avocado skins