Recipe Of The Week – Asparagus Under Wraps
This is a really quick and easy recipe that makes a great lunch or light evening meal. It is suitable for both weight loss and weight maintenance. The cheeses used here are for maximum flavour and compliment the asparagus. However, you can use any cheese you have available. Knock this dish up in around 10 minutes flat, eat and enjoy.
To serve: Parmesan cheese, grated
Serves 2 as a light lunch
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6
- To cook the asparagus; take each stalk in both hands and bend. Snap off the woody end, then trim with a knife to make it neater
- Lay the asparagus stalks in a steamer (they can be piled on top of one another)
- Season with salt and steam for 4-6 minutes
- Fontina – slice it into thin strips using a sharp knife
Parmesan – coarsely grate it
- Lay the slices of parma ham out flat on a work surface, divide the strips of cheese along the centre of each slice of ham (or sprinkle with the grated parmesan)
- Then simply lay an asparagus stalk at one end and roll the whole lot up fairly firmly.
- Lay the rolls on a lightly oiled baking sheet and place on the highest shelf in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese begins to melt.
- Serve piping hot with a little grated parmesan sprinkled over.