Recipe of the week – Halloumi & Aubergine Salad
This salad is packed full with protein and fibre which will help to keep you full and satisfied until your next meal/snack. This dish and a gorgeous taste of summer with taste, texture and colour galore – with the added bonus of being vegetarian friendly!
- 150g bulgur wheat
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 aubergine, cut into approx. 5mm rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g halloumi, cut into approx. 1cm slices
- small bunch fresh mint, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- large handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp tahini
- Put bulgur, red onion and stock into a pan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 10-12 mins until cooked and the stock has been absorbed. Once done spread out on a large serving platter to allow to cool.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Brush aubergine slices with most of the olive oil, then griddle in batches for about 2-3 mins each side, or until tender with charred lines. Side aside once cooked.
- Brush the remaining oil over the halloumi slices and griddle for 11/2-2 mins on each side (hint: try not to turn them until they come away from the pan easily). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whish together the dressing ingredients.
- Stir the herbs, cucumber, tomatoes, chickpeas, pomegranate seeds and most of the dressing through the bulgur wheat. Top with the halloumi and aubergine slices and drizzle over the remaining dressing.